[PSUBS-MAILIST] Jon's new penetrators

Mon Feb 15 15:04:47 EST 2016

I should add that precision metrology opens up a whole can of worms with respect to reportable accuracies. Where I work, we have a calibration lab which is temperature and humidity controlled, and any instruments going in for calibration must remain in the room for 24 hours prior to any calibration measurements being taken, in order to equalize with the room and keep consistent records of performance against the calibration standards. The moment you take, for example, a caliper, out of the cal lab and onto the shop floor, you have already introduced error into your measurement before even seeing your part. Such errors must be accounted for when checking supplied parts for correct adherence to drawing dimensions when tolerances are tight. I have definitely seen significant variations in measurements of a part immediately after delivery (exposed to cold on a transport truck), versus after sitting in the shop for a day or two to warm up. This may not matter for your parts and required
tolerances, but you should at least know that it doesn't matter for your application, versus just guessing.

It is of paramount importance in design not to specify tolerances which are tighter than actually required to put the part / assembly into service, because this can easily drive manufacturing costs into unreasonable territory quickly.  By the same token, specifying tolerances which are too loose can result in unusable parts or assemblies with reliability problems. Often, optimizing tolerances, taking into account tolerance buildup in a large assembly, is the most time consuming part of design.

Sean