[PSUBS-MAILIST] testing chamber

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Feb 15 16:08:43 EST 2016

Scott,I just had one built for me by a hydraulics firm specializing in hydraulicsrepairs & rebuilds. It was tested to 3000psi & is 6" ID & 18" long.It has a 1/2" bsp hole in the lid /cap & 1 down at the bottom in the side.I did specify 2 in the side but it works fine with 1.Because I have a maximum of 3000psi I was able to go to the divestore & get a hp whip with a purge button in it. The purge button is goodfor releasing the pressure prior to unbolting the cap. I found the cap was a tight fit inside the cylinder & you needed to unbolt the 12 bolts 1/2 an inch & put a bit of pressure in to pop the cap out a bit.The 1/2" bsp hole in the cap is so I can thread electrical penetrators etcin to it & test them.It was suggested that I buy a plastic insert that fits closely inside the cylinderso I can fill this with water & avoid rusting out the inside.At 3000psi components & gauges were easy to find, but you may have troubleat 5000psi.Cheers Alan