[PSUBS-MAILIST] Acceptable cabin pressure swing

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Feb 27 13:41:52 EST 2016

The problem with that valve is that it's just got a 1/4" diameter, and you
really want it to handle large volumes. Emile and I as mentioned built our
own and they're really easy to make. Interestingly we made them
independently but what we came up with is identical. I know Emile posted
his design here a while back, so it must be somewhere in the archives. I
never made a drawing of mine, just made the actual valve directly since
it's so straightforward. It's machined from a SS round and consists of just
two parts. The main body is a cylinder with a bunch of holes drilled
through it, and one central hole for the stem. This cylinder is welded into
the hull. The other part is the cap, a shorter length cut from the same
solid round but with an O ring groove around the edge and no holes. The
stem goes through the body and screws into the cap. You put a spring on the
stem and a wing nut to adjust the cracking pressure. That's it. If interior
pressure is stronger that the spring, the cap lifts and in so doing opens
all the holes.

Best,

Alec

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 10:07 AM, Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles <