[PSUBS-MAILIST] Acceptable cabin pressure swing

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Feb 28 10:57:54 EST 2016

Brian,Where to put the relief valve, in my opinion it should stay on the store shelf lol.   I have a vent valve in the hatch, it is a 1\4 inch valve.  If you have a 1\2 psi relief valve and you want it to open at the surface, what is the point in having it?  You want a relief valve to prevent your hatch blowing off or ports popping off.  Well if your at the surface it is to late, the relief valve needs to open on the way to the surface.  That means you need to surface super slow and stop at just the right depth and wait for the valve to vent off pressure before you continue to the surface.  So if your going to put a relief valve in you best go big, like Emile and Alec have  or it will be like waiting for a giant inner tube to deflate that has one pound of air pressure in it.   Your sub does not need a relief valve, can't hurt but no need in my mind, because you have small bolted ports and a good hatch securing system.  It would be different if you had a big dome that was not strapped  on like Gamma has. We talked a while back about this and I remember Alec talking about rubber straps holding the hatch down.  Now that is how I think it should be done.  As long as there is catch so the hatch can only open an inch or two.  Hank