[PSUBS-MAILIST] Euronaut's new lights

Antoine Delafargue via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Feb 29 17:53:40 EST 2016

Hi Carsten
thanks for bringing this subject up.

where did you find these rules for ligthing subs?  international or
european or german ones?

-i tried in colreg rules online but  could not find text for subs
travelling on surface
-I found a reference to sub on some of the more comprehensive summary
drawings showing all sorts of vessels (
http://www.sentinelpressllc.com/colregsnavigationlights.html). Subs to come
in with left green side lights, as well as 3 mast lights white 225° /amber
360° /white 225°
-then the colreg rules for vertical separation of lights seem to say lower
mast light 2m above deck mini, then other two lights at least 1m from each
other (2m if boat over 20m long)
all in all this makes a christmas tree 4 m high from top deck...
-then also some online chat talking about exceptions for subs for height
above water.

for my litttle 6m boat I was planning to use off the shelf lights (2nm) and
fit it in the acrylic tube which serves as mast and buoy (which i found the
inspiration for looking at your videos!!), with its own power and IR remote
switch
but it is only 1m long, not 4...

regards
Antoine