[PSUBS-MAILIST] R300 Dive at Lake Amistad

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Jan 27 18:32:31 EST 2016

Surface speed is 3 knots.  The limit is not the thrusters but the bow wave
that obstructs the pilots view at speeds over this.  The electric issue was
when I designed the part that screws into the MK-101 lower unit that holds
the electrical penetrator, I should have chamfered the inside away from the
seal. When I inserted the pigtails for the electrical penetrator
and tightened up the penetrator, the rotation causes the threads to cut
into the pigtail insulation even though I had shrink insulation over the
pigtails.  To resolve the issues, I used several layers of shrink tubing
over each wire and over the overall pigtail and reinserted.  This solved
the problem.

Comms worked flawlessly, both VHF and OTS.  Issue I had on last outing was
the base VHF had radio had an electrical failure that caused the unit to be
able to receive but not send.  The issue I had on the OTS towards the end
of the previous dive was that the transponder was in a very shallow area
and I had inadvertently had squelch turned on for the unit in the
submersible.

I sure would like to take the boat to New York PSub convention and do a max
depth qualification.  It would be a very long tow.

Cliff

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles <