[PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub for 2 pexople

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jul 19 17:24:14 EDT 2016

Hi Kamil,here are the rules of DNVGL (formerly) Germanic Lloyds.https://rules.dnvgl.com/ServiceDocuments/dnvgl/#!/industry/1/Maritime/5/DNV%20GL%20rules%20for%20classification:%20Underwater%20technology%20(RU-UWT)These rules have been recently updated.DNVL is the World's biggest certifier of submarines & is based in Hamburg.It would probably cost you US $80 - $100,000 to go through the certification process.Then there is the ongoing costs of yearly inspections, with a major inspection after 5 years.Only useful if you are using a submarine commercially, a lot of their guidelines can be usedwithout paying $100,000.Carsten, who is in Rostock Germany, was offering a certification process under Swiss Lloyds.This was aimed toward amateur builders & offers an economical process.The DNVL process is that you go in to a contract, & they give you technical advice for design.Designs for the various parts (hull, electrical, ballasting, stability, life support) are submitted for approval.It costs about US30,000 to get to design approval. Then they visit your factory to see if it is up to standard& visit at various stages. They want to know the composition of every nut & bolt you use, where they came from& whether the factory that made them had certification. They want to know who you have doing any of the workand what their qualifications are. I won't give more detail, as will be typing all day, but it ends in the final dive test.If you want to know any more ask. I think I have a brief summary of the rules somewhere.Alan