[PSUBS-MAILIST] fitting port to seat

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Jul 21 10:26:16 EDT 2016

I stumbled onto a great method for fitting my conical seat to the port.  I started out by drawing lines on the seat with soap stone then pressing the port into the seat.  The high spots showed up  on the port, but as I got closer to a perfect fit the soap stone did not work.  I then tried dusting the seat with carpenters chalk, and that worked but I had red hands all day and it was hard to see.  That is when I came onto the solution, I was wiping the chalk off the seat with a wet rag then drying up with a damp rag.  Before the seat completely dried, I placed the port the seat to double check.  Well it turns out that if the port mating surface is unpolished as mine was, the damp surface makes a shiny spot on the acrylic when it comes in contact with the steel.  This is fantastic! I just give the seat a wipe with a damp cloth, then place the port in the seat and check for a high spot.  Then I remove the port and watch for the high spot in the steel, witch usually leaves  a little water mark, then I sand that spot with 600 grit wet sand paper. Then repeat about 1,000 times ;-)Hank