[PSUBS-MAILIST] port grease

Thu Jul 21 14:11:56 EDT 2016

The window is not really supported by the grease. As the applied force increases, the pressure within the lubricant film increases, and as this exceeds the viscous friction within the fluid, it will just extrude out the open end until the window is sufficiently supported by the metal of the window seat, or the reduced clearance increases the viscous friction in the fluid to match the applied forces. When you have bubbles, your fluid is a heterogeneous mixture of air and grease, but it is all at the same pressure, so it offers the same support to the window (if the bubbles are not open to atmosphere at the edges). The acrylic doesn't care whether air or grease is providing the support. The window isn't really floating on the fluids though, except possibly at low external pressures where the viscous friction in the grease is sufficient to hold it in place against extrusion. Under higher pressures, the thin film lubrication layer is only nanometres thick where the window is actually
making contact with the peaks of the metal bearing surface, and that contact area increases with increased pressure. Having the grease film just allows the acrylic to deflect radially in response to load, instead of building larger internal stresses near the mating surfaces. You can use such windows without grease at all, but they will have higher friction at the interface, and thus creak more as the higher stresses are built up and relieved when radial forces exceed the coefficient of friction.  With gaskets, there is typically no relative movement at the mating surfaces, and it is the gasket that deforms to accommodate the relative movement.

Sean