[PSUBS-MAILIST] Psub Facebook

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jun 7 10:22:19 EDT 2016

I'm for anything that works.

The current email system is archived immediately, it's just in a
different format than it use to be years ago.  You can reach it by going
to WWW.PSUBS.ORG -> Discussion -> Browse Archive. Unfortunately it is
not searchable.  I have stated my displeasure with our email forum
numerous times primarily due to ever changing and stricter anti-spamming
techniques by large providers such as yahoo, hotmail, etc, that make it
difficult to configure.  As it is now you can see that numerous posts
have the name stripped off so if the person doesn't sign their name you
don't even know who authored the email.

The web based discussion is available but difficult to retain if I
change software vendors, as I've needed to do in the past due to
limitations or bugs in the software.  The current one (myBB) has upload
problems with large PDF files which I have never been able to resolve.
I have installed a phpBB version which may work better but we'll lose
whatever is in the current database.

I am not opposed to facebook and in fact already have a PSUBS facebook
page at "PSUBS - Personal Submersibles Organization" and "Personal
Submersibles Organization".  Apparently I created two of them, but never
developed them because I didn't have time to learn how to build them
out.  If someone adept at facebook wants to get things moving with it,
contact me so we can move it along.

I have not forced a move from email because people seem to like it.  But
it's time consuming and painful to maintain so just be aware that when
the next big problem comes around I'm likely going to shut it down and
force a move to some other option that we have more control over.

Jon