[PSUBS-MAILIST] Psub Facebook

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jun 7 18:43:54 EDT 2016

The problem with the current email system as I understand it is that Jon (or Psubs) is sending out emails to 100s of people daily,& spam filters are thinking that he is a spammer.Jon has expressed that this has been increasingly difficult to counter.He is the one being approached by members with mailing problems,& is expected to constantly solve these ever changing issues.I brought up the Facebook alternative because I could see by our email conversations, that I had been missing mail. A recent example was thatmy own post didn't make it back to me. I don't like the idea of appearingrude by not responding to someone, or someone feeling ignored whena response was given them that they didn't receive.Jon has just said that emails are being archived immediately so anyonecan check if they suspect they've missed posts.   Also I was seeing photos & videos on Facebook posted by Psubbers thatI thought the Psub group would enjoy, but possibly because of attachmentsize limitations they didn't bother posting on email.Another plus for Facebook is you can click on the posters avatar & link towhatever information they make public about themselves, so you knowwho you are talking to. Below is Jon's previous post outlining the problems with email.AlanEmail is becoming a problem.  It is becoming more difficult to deal with
the numerous ways internet providers are dealing with perceived spam,
and PSUBS email is often interpreted as unsolicited mail even though
I've been careful to configure it to comply with industry standards.
The real problem is that internet providers in their zest to stop spam
reaching their customers are implementing non-standard means to reach
that end.

You will recall that the latest "fix" was to make it look like those
submitting mail to the list were actually doing so from the PSUBS
server.  This is why emails now show "<your-name> via
personal_submersibles" instead of the actual submitters email address as
it use to be.  Additionally, more and more providers are simply blocking
the PSUBS discussion list completely and we have no solution for that.
This happened just recently to one of our members and the only solution
was to get an account someplace (usually gmail or yahoo) that didn't
block our discussion list.

Bottom line is that when these spam issues arise it usually kills our
discussions until I can get the time to determine what the real issue is
and find a fix for it.  Worse, I never know if there is really a problem
or if the list is just quiet, until someone contacts me personally and
says they haven't seen any messages for a while.  I am finding I have
less time overall to deal with email configuration issues and less
desire to spend my time chasing after such solutions.  Therefore, I have
resurrected web based forums on the website and set up various
discussion forums.  I am not going to shut-off the email based
discussions, but I am no longer going to provide technical support for
them either.  For anyone that encounters email issues in the future, the
answer will be, move over to the web-forum.

It behooves us to start this process now while the email discussion list
is still working adequately so we can resolve any issues with the
web-forum.  So please take the time to register on the web-forum even if
you still intend to use the email list as your primary means for now.  I
personally prefer email to the web-forum, but I have finally raised the
white-flag and capitulated because of the pain involved with trying to
chase the anti-spam policies of major internet providers.

Again, the email discussion list is not closing down, but I am no longer
providing technical support for it.  The web based forum will become our
"official" means of communication even though we (including me) may
still use the email method.