[PSUBS-MAILIST] amp gauge

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Jun 19 05:46:13 EDT 2016

Hank,Yes & No.If you have a constant load & you reduce the voltage, the amps willincrease. So increasing the voltage will reduce the amps on a constant load.It gets complicated because you are pushing your submarine, & there is drag to overcome.I have heard that you quadruple your energy consumption to double your speed underwater; so that would imply that if you were doing a certain speed at 12V & 10 Ampsthen you would have to be at 24V & 20 Amps or something like that, to double your speed.  If it were my motor & I couldn't find out what voltage or maximum amps it should be working off, I would be looking at other similar sized motors for a similar application with similar resistance in the windings, & using that as a starting point for tests. I would surmise that other motorsthat are enclosed in cans, like the minn kota, would have heavy windings & be de-rated because of the possible excessive heat build up in their worst case scenario. In your cold lakes you couldrun a motor at higher amps than if you were running it in a shallow lake in Florida.It would be good to have a heat sensor in them. Some thrusters come standard with heat sensors.So having estimated what you think the motor rating is, if your motor is not drawing enough ampsat full voltage, then you could try changing the prop.Another thing you could look at that might give you a clue, is the no load maximum rpm you aregetting at the varying voltages, & compare that with other motors.I am not an expert on these things (yet) but know it can be complex, & the best results are from testing& seeing where you get the best efficiency for the speed you want.Cliff may possibly like to weigh in with his findings from his Minn kota & variable pitch prop tests.Cheers Alan