[PSUBS-MAILIST] Batteries

Sun Jun 19 10:59:47 EDT 2016

That is fundamentally no different than using a battery at all, which is just a bunch of series-connected cells in a housing. Fancy batteries may have a battery management module with individual cell control, but basic batteries of any type that are higher than cell voltage just rely on cell similarity and minimal resistance connections to prevent cell imbalance. You can approximate this yourself by keeping your interconnects short and huge (if possible, use bus bars instead of cables), and ensuring that all batteries in the string are subject to identical environmental conditions throughout their lifetime. As strings get longer, the risk of cell imbalance increases. As I mentioned in a previous post, you want to connect to opposite ends of your parallel strings, and only ever draw from across the entire series-parallel arrangement at once. Other than that, your only concern is finding or making a charger for the appropriate voltages and currents required for your resultant
"battery", and just accepting that it will have somewhat less life than it would if you had cell level control.

Sean