[PSUBS-MAILIST] Shaft seals

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Jun 25 06:39:54 EDT 2016

Brian,The boat shaft seal is a low pressure version of a mechanical seal.  Just google mechanical seal or cartridge seal.  That is what I have in my thrusters-if your building a thruster housing with some size to it they are ideal.  The smallest I have seen are what I have at 7\8 shaft size and 1 1\8 seat size.  If your building from scratch, they would be the way to go.  I bought my seals on eBay as new old stock for 200 dollars for the pair.  I would find seals like that for cheap and build the shaft etc to suit the seals.  No need for oil filling or pressure compensating of any type with these seals.Hank