[PSUBS-MAILIST] Underwater GPS for divers

Mon Mar 7 09:13:54 EST 2016

"11 independent sensors"

I'm going to assume that these are the 9 typical axis measurements in an IMU (3 orthogonal accelerometers, 3 orthogonal rate gyros, and three orthogonal magnetometers), plus the gps (useless except on the surface) and a depth sensor used to fix position / velocity in the Z direction? There's not specific discussion of error in the article, but I'd be really surprised if the position uncertainty didn't continually accumulate in the absence of a DVL or some other means of limiting the integration error in the horizontal plane. I played around with an IMU many years ago - neat device, except it did periodically need external correction to zero the accumulated integration error. GPS will do this at the surface, and a depth sensor will do it for one axis at depth. Deadband can help, but then you have a minimum speed of movement at which the device will work. Call me skeptical, but I'd like to see the tech specs.

Sean