[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fw:

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Mar 21 21:18:57 EDT 2016

Hank,

Old machining trick.  IF you are getting chatter when drilling and want a good surface finish on a taper such as a countersink or a flat bottom then get a piece of rag a couple of thicknesses and a bit bigger than the hole and just drill or countersink or whatever straight through the rag and it tends to fill the cavities and give a bit of back pressure to the tool.  Try it. Other than that grinding the tool so when you feed it in it is resting on the back of the flank and it self supports.  Too many people have too great a clearance on the back edge of a drill point or tool.  On a lathe you can also raise the tool center height a gnat and it will rest on the clearance.

Cheers Hugh