[PSUBS-MAILIST] hatch pin

Wed Mar 23 00:49:59 EDT 2016

I know that this particular rule is often voluntarily disregarded by
hobbyists, but just FYI:

ABS Rules for Building and Classing Underwater Vehicles, Systems and
Hyperbaric Facilities (2016)
Section 11 (Submersibles)
Subsection 5 (Access Hatches)

5.3 (Operation):

"All hatches are to be operable from both internal and external sides.
Hatches should be designed to seat with pressure.  Hatches that unseat
with pressure will be considered based on the application of the unit.
The means for opening and closing of hatches should permit operation by
a single person under all anticipated operating and emergency
conditions.  Hatches are to have means for securing in the open and
closed positions.  Means are to be available to ensure that hatches are
clear of water before opening.  All hatches are to be considered when
evaluating the surface stability of the submersible.  See subsection 11/31."

5.5 (Pressure Equalization):

"Means are to be provided for equalizing pressure on each side of a
hatch prior to hatch opening.  As an alternative, an absolute pressure
indicator with means of adjusting the internal pressure on either side
may be provided."

Technically, to be in compliance you need to be able to cinch it down
from the outside too.  Gets to be a complicated mechanism though.

Sean