[PSUBS-MAILIST] MK 2 Brushless Thruster

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Mar 24 19:24:02 EDT 2016

Hi Steve,sorry, I left a bit of detail out of that drawing.Firstly the motor is an outrunner; so the back section with wires coming out is stationaryas are the coils inside, but the rest of the can, with magnets, rotates.The motor has a thrust bearing in it, and that takes the forward load from the propeller.There will be a circlip on the propeller shaft that will run against the bearing shown,when in reverse. The motor comes with 4 threaded holes in the back for mounting.I am putting 4 pins in these that will locate in 4 holes in the rear section of the thrusterhousing. The pins will only centralize the motor & stop the back section of the motor rotating. The whole motor could move laterally on the pins when going from forward to reversebut with a tight tolerance this shouldn't be a problem.   I am replacing the propeller shaft with 316 SS as I did in the last version. The factory thatsupplied the motor kindly sent it disassembled to facilitate this. They normally Loctite everything.   The wiring tube takes the 3 phase wires + 6 hall sensor & 2 heat sensor wires. I may adda water sensor in the bottom tube. The wires in the last version came out through a hoseconnector fitting that was press fitted in with Loctite and had a clear plastic hose clamped to it. I like this, as the oil for compensation also runs in it & the clear hose is a level indicator. I will send the wiring through a penetrator at the hull.Cheers Alan