[PSUBS-MAILIST] bow thruster

Fri Mar 25 19:12:11 EDT 2016

It will be similar to a surface vessel bow thruster, only instead of a thruster tunnel in a hull, it will be housed in a symmetric nozzle which itself can be vectored with an actuator.  I'm designing the gearbox from scratch - a few off-the-shelf spiral miter gears, tapered roller combined load bearings, shafts, seals and ports for oil circulation. Not sure what you mean by autorotate? They will not freewheel, if that's what you mean. Zero output on the hydraulic servovalve will lock off fluid flow (and thus lock out motion), although the gearbox will still be pressure compensated from the discharge side.

Sean