[PSUBS-MAILIST] bow thruster

Fri Mar 25 23:06:24 EDT 2016

The counter rotation is a function of the design of the gearbox. It is possible to do it either way, but having e.g. one right handed prop on the forward shaft and one left handed prop rotating in the other direction on the after shaft counters wasted energy from discharge thrust that is circumferentially accelerated. Of course, there is some wasted energy associated with the gearbox, so it's not all positive, but I think I'll come out ahead in my specific application.

I wasn't going to vector one big thruster through a large range of motion, but rather have thrusters mounted on either side, with some degree of movement in order to selectively optimize the thrust direction depending on commanded ahead/astern, lateral, or rotary movement.

Any such scheme has to carry all of the thrust through to the vessel, so it requires some thought on how to best arrange.

Sean