[PSUBS-MAILIST] antenna

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Mar 27 20:17:53 EDT 2016

Rick,if you are thinking of shrink tubing, here is a post from Keith Gordonon splicing with shrink tube.Alan
Over the years we have done a number of connector and cable splices for our ROV systems and other underwater systems and used down to 2000ft or so without problems. I use the 2 part resin which 3M supply with their Scotchcast 82 -A splice kits (don't have resin spec with me at present) but rather than use their 2 piece mould supplied with the kit I use Raychem WCSM heat shrink. A few precautions needed when doing the splice but basically  the heat shrink is heated to shrink one end onto cable or connector, then supported vertical with open end of shrink upper. The resin is mixed and poured into the open shrink leaving enough shrink to later heat and close around cable after resin has set. While resin is still in liguid form and setting, hand squeeze the shrink at intervals to burp any air bubbles. After resin set use heat gun to shrink the excess shrine around cable to close off the splice. It works!I have attached photo of some cables and connectors I have spliced - hope this helps - the 3M resin product is not cheap but who wants to be cheap at depth.
CheersKeith Gordon