[PSUBS-MAILIST] ROV - underwater

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Mar 31 03:25:01 EDT 2016

Brian, that's pretty impressive. I have run a 2,200W brushless motor in fresh waterwithout any modifications, but the stator & magnets got some rust & the bearings weredamaged also. The windings are coated, so that's not an issue; it would just be a matterof coating where they join the phase wires. Also you would need to use the right bearings & coat the metal parts.There is a group making an underwater thruster without a housing, http://www.bluerobotics.com/but the problem I see is that the propeller or forward motion will drive abrasive grit in to the motor which is rotating at high speeds, & will act like a sand blaster & destroy everything.OK for the quad copter that only sits on the bottom most of the time.Cheers Alan