[PSUBS-MAILIST] Speed controllers

Pete Niedermayr via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri May 6 18:07:04 EDT 2016

What about these
http://www.potentiometers.com/AQMLT.cfm

      From: Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Friday, May 6, 2016 4:09 PM
 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Speed controllers

Alec, in my boat I really like the spring return on the joystick for all three axis.  I can not see my thrusters and don't have any active feedback on thruster speed so being able to take my hand off the joystick and or foot peddle and have the boat slow to a stop and stabilize in the water column is nice.  The one control that lends itself to non spring return is the vertical thrusters for all the reasons you mention.
With boats like yours in which you have a big spread between CG-CB and are not trying to control pitch you might consider using a single 3-axis joy stick with forward-aft joystick direction controlling forward and aft boat movement via aft horizontal thrusters.  Port and starboard direction on joystick controlling port and starboard crabbing motion via your tilted vertical thrusters.  The Z axis on the joystick  controling rotating in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction about the CG using the techniques I use on my boat which is using this signal to add and subtract voltage to the aft thrusters.  For depth station keeping use a hall effect  slider or thumb wheel.  I am sure you can find both the joystick and the slider/thumbwheel  with a IP67 rating.   To link Z axis signal, you can use a PLC like I use or could get your electrics guy to design a small custom PCB that do the same thing.  A nice benefit of controlling the four thrusters as described is that you only need one hand and to me is very intuitive.
One last point.  the MK 101 controller boards generate a very non linear response to a linear input signal and have a large dead band around 2.5 volts.  The net effect of this is you have very high  low speed control of the motor. Near the dead band you can get the prop to spin at super slow speed like  one revelation per 5 seconds.
On my bollard thrust testing rig, I measure the rpm of the MK101 motor and can log motor speed (as well as current and supply voltage) as function of the 0-5v control signal to the motor controller card.  On my to do list is to plot this to show this nice non linear behavior.   I think the MK guys designed this way to give the trolling motor a lot of control for slow speed maneuvering.
Cliff