[PSUBS-MAILIST] lapping process

hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun May 22 11:25:45 EDT 2016

Hi all,I am building a rig to rotate my hatch on Elementary 3000 to lap the seat to perfection.  I am doing this because I am in need of low cost projects and I want to see if it works for future deeper diving subs.  I have little experience with lapping other than lapping valves in antique engines.  Can I just let the hatch float on the compound  while it is rotating with the full weight of the hatch bearing down on the seat, or do I need to suspend the hatch while it rotates to control the weight of the hatch on the seat.  I will be re-maching the centre hole of the hatch because the centre hole is no longer dead centre from repeated machining processes.   The centre hole will hold a shaft with bearings to keep it rotating true.Any advice will be helpful.Hank