[PSUBS-MAILIST] PLC input question

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Nov 4 10:48:04 EDT 2016

Alan, yes, the original K-350 plans do have a safety issue with potentially
over pressurizing the hard VBT.  In the original plan, the VBT blow, vent
and air supply valves are manual with air supply from HP side of internally
located scuba tanks.  So if operator took a stupid pill, he could rupture
the tank by initiating a VBT blow and forgetting to open either the vent
for flood valves.  To mitigate this issue  on the new build, I use the
system I use on the R300 which is to use regulated air from scuba LP port.
With the regulator I use, the operator can set the delta air pressure above
ambient water pressure.  On my boat I use 75 psi above ambient. If it takes
to long to blow the MBT, I can up this valve. To give more room in the
interior of the  boat, I moved the two 100 scf scuba tanks outside the
pressure hull under the aft MBT in the area that in the original plans has
the main propulsion motor.  This space is open now that I removed this
motor and have two horizontal aft Minn-Kota 101 thrusters for main
propulsion and yaw control.  An alternative solution would be to stay with
the HP air to blow tanks but install a pressure relief valve on the VBT
tank. An advantage to using the external scuba tanks with scuba regulator
is that I hang a BIBS system for both the pilot and passenger off the LP
air supply.

Cliff

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 12:23 AM, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <