[PSUBS-MAILIST] bolt on rings

Fri Nov 11 11:42:41 EST 2016

Yes, I was thinking exclusively of spherical hull shells, but cylindrical hulls work in a similar way. I understand that the two bars on the hatch in your photograph mate with similar reinforcing features inside the hull? Reinforcing rings are required by the rules to be continuous, I think because of stiffener tripping / bending stresses which could cause differential movement of the ends, despite their ability to carry the hoop stresses.  The Burcher & Rydill book addresses this a bit, with discussion about bifurcating a reinforcing ring to carry stress continuously around a hull penetration that would otherwise interfere. In any case, novel or nonstandard designs should always be verified with an exhaustive stress analysis (FEA), but your photo is a good example - just put some thought into carrying the required load and avoiding abrupt geometry changes and stress concentrations, and it will probably work.

Sean