[PSUBS-MAILIST] Hydraulic idea

Sun Nov 27 11:28:05 EST 2016

The commercial accumulators are heavy because they are designed for high
service pressures.  If you know for a fact that your vessels will only
ever see e.g. 1100 psi, you can get away with something lighter.  The
concept is exactly the same.  Pistons require tight tolerances and
surface finishes - the bladder is the easier solution.  Since the
bladder will never see any delta-P across it (disregarding it's own
elasticity), it doesn't need to be that substantial - even an inner tube
might work.  Just something to allow you to completely purge all air out
of the oil volume, and which is materially compatible with the oil, and
which will maximally expand within the pressure vessel.

As an alternative to your constant pressure accumulator, you could go
with a sealed accumulator and a small hydraulic pump which is capable of
high pressures but not necessarily high flow rates.  For example, empty
the accumulator of oil, and precharge the bladder to 1000 psi.  This
ensures that just before going completely empty, it would still be
supplying fluid at 1000 psi.  If you do this, you can use a pressure
gauge on the gas side of the accumulator to monitor the oil level, so
you pump oil in until the gauge reads 3000 psi, and you then know the
vessel is 2/3 full of oil.  You can recharge the accumulator over time
at a much lesser flow rate than is actually demanded by the manipulator,
because the accumulator supplies the high flow necessary for operation.

Sean