[PSUBS-MAILIST] SOLENOID BALLAST VALVE

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Oct 19 15:52:03 EDT 2016

Hi Keith,
Vance's original design that I based this on, had a pneumatic cylinder.
For that you would need to put a Tee off your ballast fill air line then
a 3 way valve for pressurising the cylinder & venting it in to the hull
for it to return. Then you need a pneumatic cylinder that operates
reliably in saltwater. The pneumatic cylinder would see ambient water
pressure against the outside of it's piston seals for the dive duration
& I would not be sure that what I bought was designed for external pressure.
Having said all that, it was a design that worked.
In my design the wire in the solenoid coil is already coated, so when I have wound it, it
is just a matter of adding a couple of protective coats of epoxy, then the
potting of the through hull fitting.
On my ambient sub I have solenoid valves for fill & empty. Everything worked
remotely off a play station 2 controller with the push of a button. It worked great
but everything needs beefing up for the next sub.
Cheers Alan

Sent from my iPad