[PSUBS-MAILIST] Habitat thoughts, was Taurus sub

T Novak via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Sep 8 00:08:28 EDT 2016

Hi Alan,

One of the best ways to pressure test a small ambient habitat is to turn it upside down and fill it with water.  The pressure that the water exerts trying to explode the hull is exactly the  same as that of the buoyant force of air trying to explode the hull underwater.  You would not believe that number of laymen (and engineers) that I have to explain that to, most people think the water is trying to crush an ambient habitat.

That being said, 3/8 inch steel hull and 3/8 inch Plexiglas windows (don't even need to be round) will be sufficient.  The Scott Carpenter is the example of note.  Baylab and MarineLab are the typical cylindrical style and both were surplus steel tanks.

Something similar to Hank's Gamma, a 41 inch diameter by 8 foot long cylinder, would work for me.  And a motorized chassis added later would easily convert the habitat into an ambient submarine. I am thinking of a miniature JUL barge configuration for deployment stability ease.

Tim