[PSUBS-MAILIST] lead Smelter

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Fri Sep 9 02:52:53 EDT 2016

My wood was pretty dry.I have a friend that ended up with lead on the ceiling of his basementdue to a drop of water in a sinker mold.Below is what they are saying on a boating forum.AlanSodium Silicate "waterglass" used to seal eggs in the shell and to make Hollywood whiskey bottles, and to keep molds from exploding.
 What Mr.Scheuer says. I'll add that you can make your mold out of plywood(3/4" thick) with simple 2X3,2X4 framing stock,depending on how complex the shape.The entire interior of you mold must be generously coated with the water glass and allowed to be perfectly dry before pouring.Simple slab sided ballast keels are easy enough. When you are ready to pour, bring the lead to a liquid state but do not over heat it needlessly.That is, do not wait until you see a purplish sheen on the molten surface.
 Yes, your mold will smoke and there will be charring but it will be minimal and have litle to no effect on the casting itself.Allow for some small shrinkage too. Work smart when dealing with the molten lead.Ie: plenty of ventilation, wear heavy full coverage clothing and stay focused on the task.