[PSUBS-MAILIST] Retractable Reel

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 13 16:07:48 EDT 2016

James,why do you want to drag your dog around behind your submarine?   I have thought of having a float that I can send up when ascending,to alert surface boats to my position. The idea is to send it up from about the 20 - 30ft mark, & have  a retracting mechanism to wind in the slack.There are plenty of divers reels to utilize as a starting point. Lasse's threadon using a pneumatic driver got me thinking that a simple pneumatic turbinewith a feed pressure of around 4psi would pull any slack line in & let a largeenough float pull it out. It may be a bit more complex in your scenario, as you will have the force fromdrag to consider.Other thoughts are to start with the divers reel & copy a retracting mechanismfrom somewhere, but using a 316 stainless clock spring of the right size & torsion.Let us know how you get on.Alan