[PSUBS-MAILIST] Thruster compensating fluid

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Sep 19 20:10:53 EDT 2016

 Passing on some compensating oil info.After talking with the local Shell technical expertI've just ordered 20 liters of this stuff (shell Morlina S2BL 10)https://prodepc.blob.core.windows.net/epcblobstorage/GPCDOC_GTDS_Shell_Morlina_S2_BL_10_(en)_TDS.pdfI have been down the track of looking for a suitable thruster compensating fluidpreviously. I had bought 20 liters of Shellsol D60 because it was low in aromatics& wouldn't destroy plastics on the motor winding coatings. However thiswould probably be bad for the bearings, being too low a viscosity, and also ithad a low flash point.The Morlina is designed as a high speed bearing / spindle oil, is non corrosive& has a viscosity of 10 & flash point of 150C. I had been looking for a product "Shellflex 210" (viscosity 20.3) which is used in transformers and oil compensating pumps, but couldn't find any locally. The lower viscosity of the Morlina will probably suit my small motors better.Alan