[PSUBS-MAILIST] fiberglass

David Colombo via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Sep 20 22:13:25 EDT 2016

Hi Scott, while I'm not an expert on the gel coat / fiberglass materials, I
will give you my advice on the mold process. On the SeaQuestor project the
exoskeleton was modeled in Rino. From there the mold patteren is being sent
to a 5 axis cnc machine. The mold will be cut out of the cheapest
styrofoam. We will then be spray gluing tin foil from your local store to
the surface. Once the entire surface is covered in foil, a wax coat is
applied like normal. The majority of any fine wrinkles from the gluing
process will disappear with the wax. Then the parts are ready to be laid up
by the fiberglasser. The foam mold will be able to pull at least two parts
or more depending on the amount of foam remaining after the cnc process.

Here is the best part of the process. For the SeaQuestor, two molds will be
made, cnc time 2 days, prep time 1 day, fiberglass layup and demold, 1 day.
Final surface finsh, varies based upon quality of foil job, 1-2 days, ready
for paint if desired.  Then repeat for next part.

My cost for 2 molds, approximately 18 ft x 7 ft x 4 ft each from foam
blocks, cnc work at around 5k ready to glass, glass work around $11.00 per
sq.ft. surface area.
My opinion is the 3d molds from the Rhino type program with cnc is the most
time efficient, and I can easily make additional matting parts from the
model.

Just my two cents worth.

David Colombo
On Sep 20, 2016 3:19 PM, "via Personal_Submersibles" <