[PSUBS-MAILIST] Oil Compensator

james cottrell via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 5 23:54:23 EDT 2017

Alan/ Cliff,
That's interesting- but I don't understand why it's better than a good working second stage? This is what I did-
Three trolling motors (one vertical and port/starboard pushers) had clear vinyl tubing connected to the tube/pipe where the wires come out. Each clear piece of tubing ran to the "inlet" side of a small water filter housing (the kind with a clear plastic removable sight glass). The water filter housing served as a junction box so each motor could be removed individually. The tubing them came out of the "outlet" side of the filter housing and went to a "T" fitting. One piece of tubing carrying the wires went from the "T" to a penetrator in the hull. The other piece of tubing went downward to a set of two "T" fittings that served as a manifold connecting all 3 pieces of tubing together. Finally one Large piece of tubing went to a scuba second stage mounted low on the hull (connected where the mouthpiece usually goes).
When the sub descended, air was "inhaled" into the motors. When the sub ascended, the air in the motors "Exhaled" back out of the reg. Very simple.
The only reason I went to oil was that it seemed to be all the rage at that time.  Having used both methods, I have to say that I like the air better. It was easy to set up and take apart without a lot of mess and best of all- no worries about a leak.
Greg C

      From: Alan via Personal_Submersibles <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 To: Personal Submersibles General Discussion <personal_submersibles at psubs.org>
 Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:58 PM
 Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Oil Compensator

Greg,Cliff's regulator is not a divers second stage reg. It runs direct from the first stage& you can dial in the overpressure you require. The excess pressure above setpressure escapes through the handle of the regulator but only in the "relieving" model.They go for around $150-I contacted the guys from Fugu sub a few years ago. http://www.fugusub.com/fugusub.htmlabout compensating, am pretty sure they use Minn  Kotas. They preferred air compensation. They operate out of Florida, so warm shallow waters.Alan

Sent from my iPad