[PSUBS-MAILIST] Oil Compensator

Thu Apr 6 08:42:18 EDT 2017

Pressure can help, of course, but your sealing arrangement should provide a positive seal even in its absence. The spiral action can be avoided by careful attention to surface finish and eliminating machining marks on your shafts. This doesn't eliminate the problem though. Some seals are designed to be hydrodynamically lubricated by their encapsulating fluids, lifting the seal lip away from direct contact with the shaft (thin film lubrication). The bias pressure ensures that any leakage across the seal is of oil out (which has only environmental consequences) instead of seawater in (which can ruin your day in a hurry). It also allows you to monitor either the compensation pressure or the displacement of the compensator (via either a displacement transducer, which would give you rate information, or a limit switch, which would just tell you if it had bottomed out) so that you can alarm on loss of compensation.

As for the air / oil debate, I would look carefully at the dielectric constants of each versus your intended operating depth. Oil behaves pretty much identically at all pressures. Gases increase in density at depth, reducing their effective isolation voltage. Probably not an issue at PSub depths, but for a much deeper diving sub, were I to consider gas compensation, I might look at something like sulfur hexafluoride instead of air, but then you're still dealing with venting the excess gas on ascent. Oil is messy and consumes more power, but provides additional lubrication and an excellent heat transfer mechanism.

Sean