[PSUBS-MAILIST] LED heat

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Apr 10 07:56:50 EDT 2017

To all light minded people,
I made mention earlier that my LED was getting quite hot (200 F, 93 C)
in about 6 seconds when measured at 10mm off the LEDs front surface.
The data said maximum operating temperature was 60C. I was able to
consult with the Chinese engineers who said a normal COB (chip on board)
LED will get up to 170C out front ( where the light shines); & my flip chips run
cooler than that. They said as long as the heat sink doesn't overheat they will be OK.
A bit of a relief but it probably means I can't use an acrylic lens unless oil
filling the housing dissipates the heat quick enough.
Cheers Alan