[PSUBS-MAILIST] Minn-Kota Shaft Seals

Jon Wallace via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Apr 10 23:00:27 EDT 2017

Alan,

I was able to get the brass bearing and seals out of the housing as
described by Cliff.  The brass bearing has to come out first, however
using a flat bladed screwdriver and significant blows to move it caused
gouges and deformities in the bearing so it will have to be replaced as
well, but at $5(US) its not an issue.  The socket I used was undersized
just a bit, but enough to push through the inner seal without moving
it.  It did catch enough of the outer seal however to push it out.  I
had to use the flat-bladed screw driver method to push the inner seal
out.  There was JUST enough of a shoulder to catch.  No damage to the
channel that houses the seals.

As discussed, there are two seals and a cardboard spacer.  The spacer is
8mm wide and 2mm thick.  There is NO steel washer on either seal for the
MK101 model.  I don't see any reason why the seals could not be
installed reversed.

Jon