[PSUBS-MAILIST] actuated valves?

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Apr 15 08:11:42 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I'm mulling over options for re-plumbing Shackleton's MBTs. I can go with
re-positioned tubing or remotely actuated valves. In principle the tubing
is easier, but I'm trying to think through all possibilities before
deciding, and just thought of a new option. There's six tanks per side, and
the tanks are small so it would be a challenge to put a mushroom valve
inside each tank. Besides, that would be a dozen valves. However, I could
also do just two valves per side, mounted outside and above the tanks, with
very short hoses or tubes leading from three tanks to each valve. There is
space, and because the valves would be outside the tanks I have a lot more
freedom for the size or geometry of the valves. Maybe even normal ball
valves actuated by a little air cylinder. This system would allow for
fore-aft and side-to-side control, and would be highly resistant to
list-induced water blocking.

Anyone have thoughts on the KISSest way to control valves? For example,
something that could work with unregulated 3K psi air?

Thanks,