[PSUBS-MAILIST] Light Experiments

Cliff Redus via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Apr 16 21:14:25 EDT 2017

Alan, your light looks like it is coming together nicely.  Good job. I was
looking at the pictures of the unit both the assembled unit in the sink and
the disassembled unit to see what you could possibly do to reduce the array
temperature.  A couple of observations:  Acrylic is a good thermal
insulator and off course aluminum is a great thermal conductor so as you
note, the back if the enclosure has got to do the bulk of the work in
conducting the heat away from the array.  You could increase the heat
transfer rate away from the array several ways.  The first is that you
should flip the light in the sink so that the light comes out horizontally
rather than vertically.  You want the fins to be oriented vertically.  Since
the water is essentially static in the sink, you have to rely on natural
convection to pull heat away from the fins.  The concept being that as the
water around and between the fins heats up, its density drops and it
becomes more buoyant relative to the colder waters so it wants to go up.
This sets up a natural circulation pattern. Having the fins vertically
promote this flow.  The second observation is your heat transfer rate would
increase if you had more surface area in the fins. If you look at most of
the commercial LED lights, they have more fins and they are thinner than
yours.  I am assuming you are using thermal grease between the array and
base. IF not this would be a problem. One other point; Borosilicate glass
is about nine times more thermally conducive than acrylic.  This would aid
in transferring more heat out the front lens.  These three changes, testing
with light to optimize natural convection, increasing the number of fins
and reducing their thickness and switching to Borosilicate glass should
drop the temperature of the array significantly.

Cliff

On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Alan via Personal_Submersibles <