[PSUBS-MAILIST] PWM LED driver for Cliff's enclosure

River Dolfi via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Apr 22 01:03:14 EDT 2017

Hey everyone,
I've managed to convince a professor at the University to let me tackle
developing a high power LED driver for psubs purposes for a grade. I'm just
curious which features everyone would like in an LED driver. I am designing
a driver for the Bridgelux Vero 29 LED array and will hopefully package it
into a form factor so that all of the electronics fit into the enclosures
Cliff designed and presented at the last convention.

So far I plan on using a small microcontroller (probably an ATTiny for
those who are interested) to generate a PWM signal that will switch a
MOSFET, to control the amount of power delivered from an off the shelf
constant current LED driver chip. The chip I found, the LT3478, seems to be
ideal for PSUBS purposes, as it contains it's own converter that will
accepts anything between 5 and 36 volts.

I'm also probably going to incorporate a temperature sensor that will shut
the light down if it gets too hot (running the light for too long out of
the water) and killing the electronics/melting the lens. The
microcontroller will accept a 0-5 volt analog signal from either a
potentiometer or a PLC in order to convert that to a PWM signall to dim the
lights.

Are there any major features that I'm missing? It seems that PWM dimming
and application specific temperature control are the big ones. Curious to
get input from those that are running LED rigs right now.

--
-River J. Dolfi

412-997-2526
rdolfi7 at gmail.com