[PSUBS-MAILIST] Co2 scrubbers

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Apr 23 18:37:28 EDT 2017

Some great thoughts thanks.
This all seems very much like the art of coffee making!
You have the type of bean ( absorbent choice). There is the grind ( granule size)
Moisture has an effect on coffee extraction.  There is the amount of coffee grind
in the shot! If you have differing volumes of absorbant in the scrubber this would
have an effect. There is the tamping of the grind that effects the speed water flows through the ground coffee, which is equivalent to how the absorbent is compacted. There is a set perfect time that it should take for the water to flow through the grind
to get the maximum desired extraction, this relates to the previous factors & the pressure of the pump. With a scrubber the pump is replaced by the fan & the flow
rate is what is required to keep CO2 levels below required levels & this is dictated
by the size of the hull & number of passengers.
Baristas can spend ages fine tuning their coffee machines every day & during
the day.
Not saying we should be this fussy; but there are a lot of factors to balance if
you want it perfect!