[PSUBS-MAILIST] DIY Pendulum rebreather - potential backup

Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Apr 24 11:29:47 EDT 2017

Here's an example of one of mine from a few years ago.  It was based on a
hacked former East German military O2 rebreather and turned into a small,
portable KISS mixed gas.  See, I was crazy before I bought Lake Diver.  From
what I've heard about Harold, I think he would approve of the kind of nut
who bought his boat.

I also converted a Biopak 45 to use underwater and was converting a BioPak
60 into a mixed gas rebreather.  Then I had my heart attack and then my
friend Tom died.  So no more stupid rebreather tricks. At least for diving.

As per a backup in a sub, you know .. A canister made out of acrylic like
the original canister lights - closed at one end, clamps at the other for
filling etc, a camel back water bag as counter lung (even has straps for
carrying and such - rework for chest mounting), either a quick disconnect
inlet for attaching to main O2 supply in the sub or some small bottles in
the sub (even the little ones you get at Home Depot for welding as Dr. Bob
used those for his DIY 02 rebreathers, gave him about an hour per bottle
while swimming) that inputs into the canister and some sofnolime.  It could
happen.  Rather than continuing to vent replacement 02 into the entire sub
in an emergency, only into the canister.  Should be easy to make - half a
day at most.

Brian

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTRdGvcFBS6/