[PSUBS-MAILIST] Co2 scrubbers on eBay

Brian Hughes via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 26 07:14:30 EDT 2017

Mark,

Here's how I plan to try it:

1) Ordered an XS Scuba tank holder from Amazon - the bungee one for holding scuba tanks on a boat
2) Ordered the fan Alec recommended as it's the same one I use on my current setup and worked well for him.
3) Printed out the fan emergency hose adapter. Send me an email and I can send back the stl files I got from Alec. Brian at stjohnmd.org
4) Bought an MSA M COMFO respirator hose setup on eBay. They are cheap.  It can attach to the adapter mentioned above and turn the canister into a huge lung powered scrubber without having to hold the hose bit it in your mouth with a scuba regulator mouthpiece. It will scrub inhalation and vent exhalation back into the sub, but a zero net gain.
5) Months ago I scored a box of medical clamps used for attaching things to those roll around poles in the hospital. They're perfect for temporarily or permamently attaching things to Harold's reinforcing rings. I can switch between which size canister setup I want to use.

OK, here's what will get tried and I'll post pics when done.  In no particular order.

Tank holder gets connected to medical clamp with a spacer if needed to hold out scrubber from the radius of the interior. Canister will be attached to side of the rear most starboard reinforcing ring, vertically in the middle. Drill and tap top of canister for attaching fan, make an o-ring for a proper seal.  Fan hose adapter glued to the fan.  Weld a small piece of angle iron to the reinforcing ring to hold the bottom edge of the canister.  Clamp on with fan pointed forward.  Wired with 20 amp anderson plug that, with a Y adapter, is already there and used for the ice chest based AC system (google redneck AC for images).

Not an engineer and likely Alec shakes his head every time he sees one of my sub hacks, but it keeps me home at night. :-)