[PSUBS-MAILIST] Peltier Airconditioner

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Aug 14 03:08:23 EDT 2017

Have looked in to this a bit more.
An average compression type car air conditioner takes about 3000W
of power to  run. Cooling with peltiers requires 4x this power to get the
equivalent effect. So 12000W required to keep up with a car air conditioner!
Peltiers have a typical maximum difference in temperature from one side
to the other of 70C, but to run at maximum efficiency it is recommended
to keep the temperature difference at less than 30C. So this would mean
a peltier rated 72W should be run at around 30W.
The efficiency also depends on how well you can remove the heat from
the hot side, as if it gets too hot the heat build up can migrate across to the
cold side.
A 1&1/2 x 1&1/2" peltier may be around 72W (12V & 6 A) & cost  US $3:61
Deal Extreme with free shipping....
http://m.dx.com/p/tec1-12706-semiconductor-thermoelectric-cooler-peltier-white-157283?stiff=99
So to get the same cooling as your car air conditioner you need 166 of these
& that's running them at full power & not the more economical half power.
    I have read that a peltier air conditioner can drop a cars temperature to 20C
below ambient, but I don't have any specs on the unit they mention.
   I am going to persevere with them as I am building a small one person sub
& I like that I can make a dehumidifyer, airconditioner & heater all in one & take
up little room.  As discussed, their heating efficiencies are great, so if you look
at them as a descent heater with the spin off of some cooling benefit then they
don't look so bad!  Battery technology is leaping forward, so I am anticipating that
their power drain won't be such a big deal by the time I get around to buying
batteries.
Cheers Alan