[PSUBS-MAILIST] engine drive

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sun Aug 20 18:21:34 EDT 2017

Sorry to be critical, but yes, from an historical perspective a gas engine
would be a big no-no as gas powered subs were death traps prior to the
adoption of diesel. I always say my subs are at their most dangerous in the
shop, not in the water. This could be a situation where the drained gas
engine is not dangerous underwater but is dangerous during surface transit.
And frankly storing the gas outboard sounds like a bit of a challenge in
itself.  I applaud original solutions, but this isn't one that sounds like
a good idea, at least to me.

Gamma seems to have pretty good range on batteries, and I recall you're
planning on the trailerable landing craft. Would the landing craft not
obviate the need for an onboard ICE?

Cheers,

Alec

On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 7:50 AM, hank pronk via Personal_Submersibles <