[PSUBS-MAILIST] Extractor

Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Dec 12 13:42:16 EST 2017

James,

Tried to contact you offline but didn't have luck for some reason but this
could have some value to the others that are in the same boat "pun
intended" as you. One way would be to make a 4 sided hood out of cardboard
or plywood that had the large opening say 4' X 4' on the bottom with the
pyramid tapering down to an opening that was 1" square at the top. The
height would be dependent on the height you had to work with in your shop.
Suspend this hood over the area you are stick welding, connect a shop vac
hose to the upper small opening and run the discharge end of your shop vac
hose outside your shop.
The other way was how we did it in the habitat when we switched from tig
welding to stick welding. Both guys had a flex hose with a magnet on the
end of it and we would just keep moving the hose up the pipe as we went and
as close to the weld as possible and it worked great to keep a clean
atmosphere in the small room. The smoke was sucked up to the surface,
analyzed, then cleaned and heated and then pumped back down to the habitat
and came out a vent so basically recycled.
Hope this helpes
Rick