[PSUBS-MAILIST] First Stage Regulator for O2 service Questions

Steve McQueen via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Dec 25 12:50:33 EST 2017

All, I am purchasing the system components for my K-250's O2 system.  I am
not a SCUBA diver so I lack some experience with regulators. I am
considering sealed/balanced options for the first stage regulator (it will
create an intermediate pressure downstream of the O2 tank (located external
of the hull). These get pricey and I don't really want to overspend for
options I do not need (sealed vs. not, balanced vs. unbalanced, O2 ready vs.
needing cleaned).

A couple of questions:

1.	They sell regulators that are already suitable for 100% O2 use. How
difficult to clean one that is not O2 ready?
2.	The pediatric flow regulator (located in the hull) can directly
handle the O2 tank pressure so I am wondering why we use the first stage
regulators at all.

a.	I assume to remove as many HP leak sources from within the hull
especially since it is 100% O2 (safety).

Thoughts/recommendations?

Steve