[PSUBS-MAILIST] Hatch Closure Mechanism

Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Dec 30 18:41:48 EST 2017

Hi Alan,
Some quick maths shows that for a hatch 0.5m diameter, just 2PSI pressure
difference is a force of over 1000kg. I doubt gas struts would be very
useful in that scenario!

Cheers,
Steve Fordyce

On 31 Dec 2017 9:48 am, "Alan via Personal_Submersibles" <

Ian, Tim,
yes I was thinking about a cam type latch dog as you described.
The automatic pressure relief valve that Emile has would automatically
reduce any pressure in the hull to the equalisers spring closure pressure,
maybe 2psi; then if you forgot to manually press this valve to fully
equalise,
any internal overpressure would be released as the hatch dog incrementally
released the hatch.
I guess the only reason for this law is to prevent damage from the hatch
opening explosively. Perhaps gas struts would be suitable to stop this!
Tim, I have a design for opening from the outside. There could be a grip
on the seaward side of the overpressure valve to equalise from outside.
I am feeling like I have some solutions now.
Thanks, Alan.

Sent from my iPad

On 31/12/2017, at 11:23 AM, irox via Personal_Submersibles <

Although it doesn't have be to the same vent/mechanism as the hatch over
pressure safety.

Also, there is a requirement for opening the hatch from outside, to add
more complications (if you're strictly following regulations).