[PSUBS-MAILIST] Hatch Closure Mechanism

River Dolfi via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Dec 30 23:52:05 EST 2017

Ooops, ignore that previous rule. I was reading the Lloyds of London rules,
not German Lloyds.

"2.1
The access and exit hatches shall be provided with a closing mechanism
which makes it possible to create, even when the submersible is surfaced, a
sufficient contact force on the hatch sealing. Sealing systems for hatch
covers shall be approved by the Society.
*In addition the closing mechanism shall be designed in a way that opening
of the hatch is only possible after pressure equalization has happened, see
[4*]."

Of course, now that I think about it, this requirement is redundant. If an
overpressure valve is installed, there would never be high pressure in the
cabin to need to relieve. If there is an underpressure, you wouldn't be
able to open the hatch anyway!

Thanks,

-River J. Dolfi
rdolfi7 at gmail.com