[PSUBS-MAILIST] co2 scrubber

Sat Feb 4 16:53:27 EST 2017

Yes. For the chemical reaction to work properly, the air needs some dwell time against the scrubber media. This may be specified in the media datasheets. Regardless, if your fan is too strong and you're blowing tons of air through it, you may just dry it out while scrubbing really inefficiently.  If you slow it down, you give the CO2 time to react and the bed gets more efficient. This is one of the reasons why radial flow scrubbers have an advantage - the surface area is huge, so the actual flow velocity through the bed is minimal in comparison to an axial flow design. You only need enough airflow to remove CO2 faster than you produce it, and ideally to process the entire air volume in your cabin a few times an hour. Slow, large diameter fans will be more effective than a high speed but small fan, and probably easier on your batteries too.

Sean